Home |  Geography |  History |  Biology |  Recreation |  News |  Resources
Talcottville Home Page | Talcottville Index

This Page Is Under Construction

Nathaniel Olmstead Kellogg (1796-1854)

1937 Rockville Water System Map
N. O. Kellogg
(Source: CT Magazine)

Nathaniel Kellogg was the grandson of Vernon's first minister, Rev. Ebenezer Kellogg, who served at the First Congregational Church at the Meetinghouse on Old Meetinghouse Hill for 55 years.

His parents were Ebenezer Kellogg, Jr. and Abigail Olmstead. They built the house at the corner of Hartford Turnpike and Bamforth Road where the house still stands, one of the oldest in town.

Nathaniel would have worked on the farms and been active in the church on the hill as a boy. Church and state were one at the time. He would have known all the prominent men in town and he and many of his cousins pioneered in the emerging manufacturing industry. About the time of his birth Warburton was building his mill on the lower Tankerhoosen.

I'm not sure if Nathaniel went to college, likely Yale, as some of his other family members did.

He married Elizabeth Nash in Stockbridge, MA on January 21, 1822. (American Mercury newspaper)

N.O. died on May 13 1854 at the age of 58. (New York Eventing Post) He is buried in the Kellogg family plot in Elm Hill Cemetery. An inventory of his estate and his will are online at Ancestry.com. He was worth about $145,000 - a considerable amount for the time.

He also served as a state senator, thus the Honorable title.

The Kellogg House

Nathaniel Kellogg built his home on Kelloggville's Main Street (currently 85 Main Street) near his factory about 1840. It is in the Greek Revival architectural style. Although it has had modifications and additions it still retains its original character.

It is a 2-1/2-story Greek Revival house with pedimented gables, a three-part entablature, and Doric pilasters. It features a Queen Anne veranda and a south-facing angled window bay, which date from the late nineteenth century. It has a 1-story detached frame garage, constructed in 1971, which is located on the south side of the house, toward the rear of the lot, to minimize its intrusion on the streetscape.


"The Kelloggs in the Old World and the New" by Timothy Hopkins, 1903. Can be read online.

Home  |   Activities  |   News  |   References  |   Search  |   Site Map  |   Contact Us

© Copyright The Tankerhoosen. All rights reserved.