Home |  Geography |  History |  Biology |  Recreation |  News |  Resources
Talcottville Home Page

Talcottville Timeline

What happened when? A timeline to keep events in relationship.

  • 1635: Windsor, Hartford & Wethersfield settled
  • 1716: First settlers arrive in Rockville area from East Windsor
  • 1720: Town of Bolton incorporated which included the current town of Vernon as North Bolton
  • 1726: First Permanent Settler: Samuel Grant moves from Windsor to North Bolton
  • 1740: Saw mill erected at Valley Falls
  • 1760: North Bolton becomes a distinct Ecclesiastical Society
  • 1776: Declaration of Independence signed
  • 1802: John Warburton house is built; oldest structure in village
  • 1808: Vernon separates from Bolton and incorporates
  • 1809: John Warburton sells out to the McLeans, Tinker and Fuller
  • 1809: Peter Dobson builds cotton spinning mill on the Tankerhoosen
  • 1816: Alexander McClean sells out to Thomas Bull
  • 1821: First power looms at Rock Mill in Rockville
  • 1835: Nathaniel Kellogg becomes sole proprietor and names town Kelloggville
  • 1841: First manufacture of fine linens in Rockville
  • 1849: Hartford, Providence and Fishkill Railroad opens through Vernon
  • 1854: Nathaniel Kellogg dies
  • 1856: Talcott Brothers buy village and mill
  • 1860-64: Civil War; mill makes blankets for Northern Army
  • 1863: Railroad spur to Rockville opens
  • 1867: Talcott Brothers give land for Mount Hope Cemetery
  • 1869: Spring freshet destroys upper Talcott mill, lower mill burns
  • 1869: Present dam built
  • 1870: Current Talcott mill built
  • 1873: Horace G. Talcott dies
  • 1880: The Library is built; the clock was installed in 1881
  • 1880: Schoolhouse is built
  • 1882: C. Denisen Talcott dies
  • 1888: March blizzard paralyzes northeast
  • 1891: Lenticular Truss Bridge built
  • 1906: Congregational Church burns; Talcott office moved to The Library, now The Office
  • 1914-18: First World War
  • 1929: Beginning of Great Depression, mill begins decline
  • 1938: Hurricane brings flooding and destruction
  • 1938: Dam strenghtened Hurricane brings flooding and destruction
  • 1939: Ackersly Mill at Talcottville Gorge torn down
  • 1939-45: Second World War
  • 1941: Talcottville Mills, Inc. organized to run mills for Talcott Brothers
  • 1940's: Highway built through Vernon destroying Dobsonville
  • 1947: Talcott's sell mill to Alfred Cavedon & the Nodevac Corp; houses sold to individuals
  • 1962: Four Chimney building demolished
  • 1968: The Office is demolished; clock moved to The Colony
  • 1970: Cavedon closes Aldon Spinning Mills Corp
  • 1982: Interstate I-84 widened taking remainder of Dobsonville and more of wetlands
  • 1989: Talcottville listed on National Historic Register
  • 2001: Historic Talcottville Association formed
  • 2010: Talcott Family donates Ravine to Northern CT Land Trust

Home  |   Activities  |   News  |   References  |   Search  |   Site Map  |   Contact Us

© Copyright The Tankerhoosen. All rights reserved.