Valley Falls Timeline
What happened when? A timeline to keep people and events in relationship.
- 1720: Town of Bolton incorporated including North Bolton, the future town of Vernon.
- 1730: First mention of Valley Falls name in town records with Johns family deed and saw mill.
- 1740: Johns family saw mill erected at Valley Falls.
- 1747: Dr. Norman Morison buys much of Valley Falls.
- 1751: The North Bolton Cemetery established on Bamforth Road.
- 1760: North Bolton becomes a distinct Ecclesiastical Society.
- 1761: Dr. Morison dies leaving Valley Falls property to the Walker family.
- 1795: Oil Mill built at Valley Falls.
- 1808: Vernon separates from Bolton and incorporates.
- 1809: Peter Dobson builds cotton spinning mill on the Tankerhoosen.
- 1821: First power looms at Rock Mill in Rockville
- 1836: Land purchased by Anton Lyman with oil mill.
- 1840: Farm and Tenent House built by Anson Lyman.
- 1849: Hartford, Providence and Fishkill Railroad opens through Vernon.
- 1849: Valley Falls Company builds 2 story cotton mill.
- 1860-64: Civil War
- 1865: After Anson Lyman's death 150 acres owned by Samuel Bradley.
- 1871: Bradley sells 150 acre Lyman Farm to Christian Sharps to develop a trout hatchery.
- 1874: Christian Sharps dies of tuberculosis before first trout sale. Bradley regains property.
- 1876: Dr. Stuart & Amelia Gwynn buy Valley Falls.
- 1877: Valley Falls Cotton Mill burns ending the mill era at Valley Falls.
- 1900: Amelia Gwynn sells Valley Falls.
- 1900: Alfred Hardy sells Valley Falls.
- 1907: Alfred Hardy sells Valley Falls.
- 1910: Hans Munchow buys property, rebuilds barn, and builds stable.
- 1913: Munchow runs away leaving wife to dispose of property.
- 1915: Dr Charles & Mary Batterson Beach buy Valley Falls.
- 1914-18: First World War
- 1925: Swimming pool built for the Beach family.
- 1929: Beginning of Great Depression
- 1939-45: Second World War
- 1958: Charles Beach sell property to Jones & Lyman real estate developers.
- 1962: Vernon Fire district buys 130 acres.
- 1965: Town of Vernon and City of Rockville consolidate.
- 1970: Last freight train.
- 1972: Jones & Lyman donate last 63 acres to Vernon.
- 1995: Army National Guard builds Rail Trail.
- 1995: The Braille Trail constructed as an Eagle Scout project.
- 2000: Friends of Valley Falls purchase the farm.
- 2011: The Braille Trail Refurbished and Rededicated.
- 2021: Friends of Valley Falls opens Heritage Center in the Stable.
Updated April 2021
Site Map |
The Tankerhoosen. All rights reserved.