This Page Is Under Construction
Rev. Ebenezer Kellogg came to North Bolton, the future Vernon, in 1763 to become the first minister at the new North Bolton Meetinghouse. During his 55-year tenure he guided the new parish as it grew into a town and saw the transformation of the agricultural community to an industrial community.
Many of his sons and grandsons remained in Vernon and played significant roles in its growth during the Nineteenth Century. This page is an overview of the early Vernon Kelloggs and their contributions to our town. For some of the family members there are links to more expansive biographies.
Nathaniel Allis was one of the 50 proprietors of Bolton at the time of its formation and took part in the 12 Divisions of land in 1731. He was married to Mercy Dudley.
For his Homelot of 100 acres he chose a plot in South Bolton on Hebron Road. He exchanged this lot with Joseph Collyer for one located in North Bolton on the eastern line just above today's Bolton line. Per the Alford map this property passed to his son David.
In the 3rd Division of land his piece was on Bolton Road near the Beach house. He sold it to Benjamin John in 1730.
In the 7th Division of land he took a 10 acre plot at the corner of Bamforth and Bolton Roads, later owned by Hubbard Kellogg.
The 9th (10 acres) and 10th pieces may have been on the Tankerhoosen and the future home of the Saw and Grist mills. The Alford map has errors on this part of the map. The parcels are listed as those of D. Allis but he may have obtained them from is father.
He owned no land near the corner of South Street and Hartford Turnpike.
David Allis (1698-1762)
David Allis, son of Nathaniel Allis, was an early resident of North Bolton and one of its most prominant people.
From Allyn Stanley Kellogg's historical address on "The Church of Christ In Vernon, Connecticut" which provides much of our information on the founding of the North Bolton parish and early church and Meetinghouse History:
"The powers granted to the inhabitants of the new Soiety were soon called into action by a writ issued by Thomas Pitkin, Justice of the Peace, commanding John Dart, Constable, to warn a Society meeting, to be held at the dwelling-house of David Allis, on Wednesday, November 12, 1760." (page 18)
It was voted at the November 12, 1760 meeting, 'To hold the Sabbath day meeting at David Allis's dwelling-house, till the first of May next." Thus Allis' house was where the North Bolton parish met until it Meetinghouse was built. (page 19)
In choosing the Meetinghouse location at a meeting in February 1761 it was "on the southward part of land belonging to Mr. Samuel Bartlett, near to the highway that leadeth westward from Mr. David Ellis's" (sp) (page 20)
It has long been assumed David Allis house was on the corner of Hartford Turnpike and South Street and that Hartford Turnpike was the westward road referenced. However, if the Allis house was actually at the corner of Bamforth Road and Baker Road the westward road would have been Cemetery/Baker Road.
David Allis had five daughters, but no sons. When he died Intestate in 1789 his property, including the saw and grist mill were divided between his second wife and his four married daughters.
Children - All girls:
Mary (1744-1813) m. Reuben Searl or Searles in 1764. Got saw mill.
Hannah (?- m. ??? Hodge
Elisabeth (1750- m. Elijah Hodge. Got the grist mill.
Jemima (1753-1819) m. John Stiles in 1784.
Sarah (1755- m. Ebenezer Walker?
Content (1757- Listed and given rooms.
1874 Plan Of the Allyn Kellogg Farm. Copy at Vernon Historical Society.
Hopkins, Timothy (1903). The Kelloggs In The Old World and The New, Volume 1. Most of the information on this page is extracted from this 3 volume Kellogg genealogy. It is available online.
Kellogg, Allyn S. (1888). The Church of Christ In Vernon, Connecticut: An Historical Address. 50 pages. History and memories of the First Congregational Church by Kellogg (1824-1893), grandson of the first minister. Although primarily a church history includes early town history also. #